PagBayaw: Foregrounding and Revitalizing the Sugidanon (Epics of Panay)
BALAY PATAWILI, INC.
with the kind support of the NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR CULTURE and the ARTS
and the collaboration of the UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-CENTER FOR WESTERN VISAYAN STUDIES
Foregrounding and Revitalizing the Sugidanon (Epics of Panay)
CALL FOR PAPER AND CREATIVE WORK
This event will organize an event that will build on the wealth of knowledge in and about the sugidanon, the epics of the Panay Bukidnon. It will bring together scholars, artists, community workers, and most of all, the local chanters and their community in the effort of revitalizing the archived documentation of the ten epics.
This event aims to:
1. generate new scholarship about the Panay epic chanting called the sugidanon
2. create awareness among the academics, the LGUs, cultural organizations, and the general public about the repository of knowledge in the sugidanon
3. build linkages between the Panay Bukidnon community and institutions like the academe, the government, and NGOs for the harmonious production of knowledge that will support development and transmission of sugidanon research and practice
4. bridge the learning modules of the Schools of Living Tradition in the local community with the development of academic institutions’ curriculum
5. develop young scholars who will help build the network of scholarship and community work in support of for Panay Bukidnon performing and expressive culture, particularly those forms related to chanting.
PANEL FOR SCHOLARLY PAPERS
Write on topics covered by the sugidanon: music, dance, literature, gender, herbal medicine, economics, labor, maritime life, socio-political organization, customary laws, cultural transmission (with a proposed module for School of Living Tradition or SLT) and other relevant topics.
PANEL FOR CREATIVE WORK
Create a work with rationale/philosophy related to contextualizing the sugidanon. Work output can be in a form of poetry, music composition, choreography, sculpture, painting, theatre, and other forms of creative expressions.
Deadline of abstract: April 30, 2013
Date of event: November 14-16, 2013 (Thursday-Saturday)
Venue: University of the Philippines, Iloilo City
We also welcome art works for EXHIBIT at the U.P. Gallery.
Participants are invited to join the WORKSHOPS, which will be conducted by Panay Bukidnon guests.